Consider A Spherical Cow Answers [PDF] [EPUB] 1 [FREE] [PDF] Consider A Spherical Cow Answers Consider A Spherical Cow Answers PDF [EPUB] [EBOOKS] Consider A Spherical Cow Answers PDF Wed, 04 Mar 2015 12:16:00 GMT 10 Linux Distributions.
- Read and Download Consider A Spherical Cow Answers Free Ebooks in PDF format - AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE PAPER 1 NOVEMBER 2018 GRADE 11 2018 GRADE 12 AFRIKAANS.
- Consider A Spherical Cow Solutions Manual The guide to ph measurement in food & drink our daily brine, how to use a ph meter and best practices for testing ph of food and drink topics include cleaning.
- Consider a Spherical Cow describes relatively simple mathematical methods for developing quantitative answers to often complex environmental problems. Early chapters provide systematic insights into problem solving and identifying mathematical tools and models that lead to.
A spherical cow is a humorous metaphor for highly simplified scientific models of complex real life phenomena. The implication is that theoretical physicists will often reduce a problem to the simplest form they can imagine in order to make calculations more feasible, even though such simplification may hinder the model's application to reality.
Perfectly Spherical Cow
The phrase comes from a joke that spoofs the simplifying assumptions that are sometimes used in theoretical physics.
Milk production at a dairy farm was low, so the farmer wrote to the local university, asking for help from academia. A multidisciplinary team of professors was assembled, headed by a theoretical physicist, and two weeks of intensive on-site investigation took place. The scholars then returned to the university, notebooks crammed with data, where the task of writing the report was left to the team leader. Shortly thereafter the physicist returned to the farm, saying to the farmer, 'I have the solution, but it works only in the case of spherical cows in a vacuum'.
It is told in many variants, including a joke about a physicist who said he could predict the winner of any race provided it involved spherical horses moving through a vacuum or a physicist whose solution to a poultry farm's egg-production problems began 'Postulate a spherical chicken ..', as presented in a 1973 letter to the editor of the journal Science titled A Spherical Chicken.
References in science
Alan Turing, in his 1952 paper 'The Chemical Basis of Morphogenesis' asserted that: 'a system which has spherical symmetry, and whose state is changing because of chemical reactions and diffusion .. 6340 free hp ipaq software. cannot result in an organism such as a horse, which is not spherically symmetrical.'
In popular culture
- Consider a Spherical Cow is the title of a 1988 book about problem solving using simplified models.
- 'Spherical Cow' was chosen as the codename for the Fedora 18Linux distribution.
- In an episode of the sitcom The Big Bang Theory, the joke is told by Dr. Leonard Hofstadter with the punchline mentioning 'spherical chickens in a vacuum'.
- Assume a can opener – A catchphrase used to mock theorists who base their conclusions on impractical or unlikely assumptions
Spherical Cow Group
- ^Hubbard, John H.; West, Beverly H. (1995). Differential Equations: A Dynamical Systems Approach. Part II: Higher-Dimensional Systems. Texts in Applied Mathematics. 18. Springer. p. 204. ISBN978-0-387-94377-0.
- ^Shelton, Robin; Cliffe, J. Allie. 'Spherical Cows'. Archived from the original on 9 October 1999.
- ^'The Sacred Spherical Cows of Physics'
- ^Washington Post: 'The Coase Theorem'
- ^Kirkman, T. W. (1996). 'Spherical Cow: A Simple Model'. Statistics to Use. Retrieved 2007-02-19.
- ^Hefley, Bill; Hefley, William E.; Murphy, Wendy (1 February 2008). Service science, management and engineering: education for the 21st century. Springer. p. 80. ISBN978-0-387-76577-8. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- ^Birattari, Mauro (15 April 2009). Tuning Metaheuristics: A Machine Learning Perspective. Springer. pp. 183–184. ISBN978-3-642-00482-7. Retrieved 1 September 2012.
- ^Stellman, Steven. 'A Spherical Chicken'. Retrieved 18 Feb 2017.
- ^Turing, A. M. (1952). 'The Chemical Basis of Morphogenesis'(PDF). Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B. 237 (641): 37–72. Bibcode:1952RSPTB.237..37T. doi:10.1098/rstb.1952.0012. JSTOR92463.
- ^'Consider a Spherical Cow' University Science Books
- ^'Fedora 18 Is Codenamed The Spherical Cow'. phoronix.com. 2012. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- ^Huva, Amy. 'When Nerds go Viral'. Vancouver Observer. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
Spherical Cow Joke
- Hubble Heritage Gallery Page: related history from Space Telescope Institute